The Egg Roll in a Bowl is a healthier twist on a traditional egg roll. This recipe has everything an egg roll offers without the deep-fried wrapper. It is vegan + gluten-free + refined sugar-free.
Ever just want Chinese takeout, but you just went grocery shopping and know you should probably use what you have, the story of my life! Egg rolls are my favorite especially with the sweet dipping sauce, however, Trader Joes Orange Chicken runs a close second.
After vacation, I’ve been making an attempt to just eat better. After having kids weight just seems to stick a little different, haha! And well it should be a no brainer that I ate all the tacos and margaritas in Mexico! Thus I really try to eat at home and use wholesome ingredients whenever possible.
Yesterday on our way home from the swim meet for my son we stopped by the store to pick up a few things for school lunches. Mondays sure do come quickly around here. Sunday grocery shopping is madness around these parts of town and the parking lots are not much better! Anyhow, I was on my way out of the grocery store it smelt like Chinese food, there is a Chinese restaurant close by and omg I knew what I wanted for lunch, Egg Roll in al Bowl of course! It is so easy to prepare and a great healthy alternative to deep-fried egg rolls.
This recipe is great for meal prep, make it once have it for the week! Egg Roll in a Bowl is a great way to add fiber to your diet. Cabbage has cancer-fighting sulfuric compounds yet another great reason to add it to your diet!
How To Make Egg Roll in a Bowl:
- Optional Garnishes:
- siracha or garlic chili sauce
- coconut aminos
- bean sprouts
- green onion
Love quick meals? Also, try Easy Teriyaki Chicken & Rice Bowls.
- 10 oz extra firm tofu, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos (can sub soy or tamari just use 1/4 cup)
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1/2 tsp chili garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp agave
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2/3 cups carrots, grated (2 carrots)
- 1/2 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger, freshly grated
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- In a large skillet heat oil on medium-high. Add tofu and cook till golden brown about 3-4 minutes per side. You may need to stir more frequently to avoid sticking. Add more oil if necessary.
- In a small bowl whisk together coconut aminos (can sub soy sauce or tamari), agave, black pepper and sriracha ( can sub chili garlic sauce).
- Pour sauce over tofu then add onion and sauté for 1 minute. Add ginger and garlic; sauté till fragrant. Add cabbage and carrots sauté about 5 minutes.
- Divide among bowls and top with your favorite garnishes. Serve or rice or rice noodles.
siracha or garlic chili sauce
Stores great in the fridge and is an easy reheat!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 142 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 701mg Carbohydrates: 19g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 12g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 9g