Black pepper chicken is an easy restaurant favorite you can make at home. It is versatile, you can add any veggies you like to this yummy dish.
Black pepper chicken was my favorite Chinese dish during college. I lived pretty close to panda express so I had my fill of black pepper chicken over the years, especially after swim practice every day. Those were the good ole days, I could eat anything and everything thanks to all those calories being burned in the pool daily!
This dish is so filling and comforting. I used onion and celery but any vegetable would be great in this dish, think of it as a stir fry, use what you like.
As much as I loved takeout back then, it’s so much better and healthier to make your favorite dishes homemade.
I usually add some chili garlic to my chicken however this pregnancy has given the absolute worst heartburn so no spicy food me! However, if you like a little heat feel free to throw in some chili garlic or sriracha to the sauce. I like to serve this dish with white rice but quinoa or cauliflower rice would go great with it too, or whatever side you fancy.
Making this dish is so easy, start by cubing your chicken tossing it in corn starch and cooking it till brown on the outside. Set it aside and add in the veggies, while veggies cook to make your sauce. Add your chicken back in and toss with the veggies. Pour sauce over the chicken and veggies and let simmer and soak up all the delicious flavor! Serve with some green onion, and freshly cracked black pepper, yum!
Love quick and easy meals also try:
- Hibachi Style Chicken & Veggies + Sauce
- Easy Grilled Chicken Teriyaki
- Asian Steak Bites & Coleslaw Bowl
- Easy Take-Out Style Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/8 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp agave
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp black pepper + more for serving
- In a small mixing bowl add chicken thigh pieces, 1 tbsp corn starch, black pepper, and salt. Mix till all pieces are evenly coated.
- To a medium wok or nonstick pan add avocado oil and saute chicken bowning the outside. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add celery, onion, and garlic to the pan, sautee for a few minutes, and pour in 1/8 cup chicken broth scraping off the bit stuck to the bottom of the pan. Saute till liquid is gone, 3-4 minutes.
- While the veggies are sauteeing prepare you sauce. In a small bowl whisk together chicken broth, soy sauce, avocado oil, rice vinegar, agave, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Once veggies are ready, put the chicken back in the pan and pour the sauce over, stir till everything is well combined. Continue to let chicken and veggies simmer in the sauce for 5-7 more minutes. Taste, season with more soy sauce, hot sauce, and black pepper if desired. Enjoy!
Garnish with green onions if you desire.