What could possibly make Mac and cheese any better? Hatch Green Chiles that’s what! Hatch Green Chile Macaroni and Cheese is the ultimate baked comfort food with insanely delicious cheesy sauce, flavorful chilis, and a golden panko topping.
Out of all the Mac and cheese in the world, this is my absolute favorite and happens to be my sister’s favorite too! For her birthday she asked me to make Mac and cheese with hatch green chiles and a cake (coming soon), how could I say no to that? It is nice to be asked to cook for others it must mean I’m doing something right, haha!
If you are in the mood for a buttery and cheesy macaroni and cheese this is the recipe for you. Hatch green chiles are the best balance of sweet and heat. The combination of hatch chiles and cheese makes for an insanely delicious meal!
What I find works best is freshly grated cheese. Pre shredded cheese contains anti-caking agents that often make you sauce more gritty and less smooth. Make sure you stir often to avoid clumping. You don’t want a dry macaroni so don’t skimp on the sauce. If I am going to exceed my calories why hesitate and skimp on the cheese make it worth guys! Lastly, if you have little mouths to feed at home you could absolutely omit the chiles for a creamy macaroni & cheese.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1 lb short pasta, cellentani is my favorite
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups mild cheddar
- 1 cup pepper jack
- 1 cup sharp cheddar
- 2 4 oz cans of mild hatch green chiles
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and grease your skillet or a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cook your pasta according to package in salted water. Be careful not to overcook. Drain in a colander and run under cool water. Drain all excess water and set aside.
- Heat butter on medium-high heat and add the flour. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes and whisk constantly.
- Slowly add in the milk and continue to whisk. Bring to a simmer you don't want it to boil, the sauce will thicken. Turn off heat and add the cheese by the handfuls, whisking after each addition. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in pasta noodles and green chiles and transfer to your prepared baking dish. Place panko crumbs on top and season with more salt and pepper. Bake for 30 mins or until cheese sauce is bubbling and panko crumbs are golden. Enjoy!