Southwestern Chopped Chicken Salad is loaded with tons of veggies, chicken, crispy tortilla chips, and tossed in a creamy southwestern dressing made from greek yogurt. This is a salad we can all agree on!
This salad is perfect for a warm summer night dinner or Bbq. Southwestern Chopped Chicken Salad is loaded with tons of flavor and texture. For the dressing I went with a Greek yogurt-base, however, you could easily sub any fiesta or ranch dressing you may like!
Its been so hot here, summer is truly my favorite season, I love warm weather and long beach days with the kids. This summer will be my first being super pregnant during summer months, not sure how much I will be loving summer in August and September, haha! One thing I know for sure is that this Southwestern Chopped Chicken Salad will be on repeat, such an easy and delicious meal! I used rotisserie chicken which makes this meal a 15 min prep time, whoo!
Ingredients for Southwestern Chopped Chicken Salad you will need plus substitutions:
- Chicken, grill your own, use rotisserie or sub ground turkey or beef.
- Tortilla chips, use your favorite, personally I go for the saltiest & crunchiest around, you don’t want to leave this ingredient out!
- Cheddar cheese, but any cheese you like will work pepper jack and Monterey jack would be great.
- Lettuce, crunchy romaine is best in this salad.
- Corn, you can use fresh sweet corn or drained canned corn.
- Black beans, but use your favorite!
- Avocado, never pass on avocado!
- Red onion
There are lots of options when throwing this salad together, if you want to keep this more of a side dish you can leave out chicken completely! If you’re making this for the week add avocado and dressing before serving. Do not toss the salad until you are ready to serve, nobody likes a soggy salad. Lastly, ENJOY!
LOVE FRESH AND EASY SALADS, ALSO TRY:
- Strawberry Fields Salad
- Chinese Chicken Chopped Salad
- Beet and Goat Cheese Salad + Golden Balsamic Dressing
- Tuscan Kale Salad with Apples
- Harvest Salad with Apple’s and Sweet Balsamic Vinaigrette
Southwestern Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tso cumin
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinager
- 1/2 tsp agave
- salt to taste
- 7 cups chopped romaine (about 2 romaine hearts)
- 1 cup corn kernals
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 1/2 cups chicken breast, cubed
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together, except salt. Taste and add salt to your liking. Let dressing sit a minimum of 10 minutes for flavors to meld.
- Add all salad ingredients to a salad bowl. If you are serving later add chips and avocado before serving.
- Before serving toss the dressing in the salad or serve on the side, enjoy!!