Citrus Pollo Asado Bowls with Avocado Salad is one of our family favorites! A quick weeknight meal everyone loves. Use the leftovers for tacos, bowls, burritos, quesadillas and on top of salads! Pollo Asado truly is the perfect blend of sweet and smokey.
Happy first day of Fall my amazing blog family, we are steadily growing and I could not be more thankful! September days are nearly over and we are full steam ahead into the Holliday season. Now with the kids back in school, time is of the essence especially because I have become that mom taxi! Honestly if I am not totally organized I feel like everything will fall apart. Thus, I like to create quick ad delicious weeknight meals packed with nutrition. I avoid getting takeout during the week by planning my meals every Sunday however some weeknight call for takeout occasionally.
Mexican food is one thing we can all get on board within my household. Pollo Asado is sweet and slightly smokey it tastes fantastic with some extra lime juice drizzled on top. I recommend you marinate chicken 2-4 hours or overnight. It tastes best grilled or cooked in a cast-iron skillet. Leftovers will keep for up to 5 days and you can use it in different meals so it won’t feel like your eating the same old leftovers!
We like ours over a bed of rice with a side of avocado salad. The flavors in the bowl come together beautifully. What’s Mexican food without a little rice and beans! I typically serve this with beans however I just happened to be out! These bowls will not disappoint!
Citrus Pollo Asado Bowls with Avocado Salad
Sweet & Smokey Chicken Perfect addition to any meal!
- 2 lbs chicken, can use breast, thighs or whole
- 2 tbsp adobo sauce from can
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1.5 - 2 cups rice cooked according to package
- 1 cup tomato diced
- 2 cups avocado diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves diced
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Pollo Asado:
- In a large ziplock freezer bag and in the adobo, citrus juice, minced garlic, and spices. Add in chicken pieces, seal bag massage chicken and marinate 2-4 hours. Don't let it marinate for longer the 24 hours as it will toughen the chicken, you want TENDER.
- Heat your cast iron and add cooking oil. Cook chicken on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes each side, or until center reads 165 F. If you choose to grill your chicken cook each side 7-10 minutes or until center reads 165 F and the outside is nicely chared. Let rest 3 minutes before cutting.
For the Avocado salad:
- In a medium bowl add all ingredients and toss. Be carful not to smash the avocado.
To assemble bowls:
- Layer rice in 4 or 5 bowls and top with chiken and avocado salad. I like to add purple cabbage but green leaf lettuce wokrs great too! Enjoy!
Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Bowls take 30 minutes to make and are the perfect weeknight dinner for the whole family. On busy nights this is my go-to meal. A beautiful blend of chicken, carrots, broccoli simmered in a homemade teriyaki sauce and served over a bed of rice. Your next dinner is only 30 minutes away.
Isn’t it the best when all parties in your home love dinner. I do have one child that usually has something to say before every dinner even before she even takes a bite. That is unless its something like cupcakes or ice-cream. Happy to announce that this meal has my most opinionated child stamp of approval, in fact, she asked me to make Chicken Teriyaki again, winning!
I grew up competitively swimming and I must say at every swim meet there were teriyaki chicken bowls and they were my favorite thing about swim meets, ha! Swimmers, I think we can all relate teriyaki bowls and cup o’ noodles, are a swim meet snack bar staples! As I got older and more into eating clean I learned of all the added sugars and nonsense added into a bottle of pre-packed teriyaki sauce. I promise to give you the best quality ingredients in this sauce. I used agave for sweetener but feel free to sub for honey or coconut sugar.
You can make this low carb very easily by throwing it over some cauliflower rice or having it as a lettuce wrap. If you’re looking to beef up these bowls cook up some frozen egg rolls to go along with the bowls.
Can I Make This With Frozen Vegetables?
YES! But cook the veggies first to avoid a watery bowl. Feel free to add in your favorite veggies I love adding steamed cabbage!
Do I have to cook the chicken stovetop?
Nope! Feel free to use the grill just keep the chicken whole. In a pinch, use could even get away with using ground chicken or rotisserie chicken!
Tips for Success:
Don’t use excess salt coconut aminos is salty enough, you can easily over salt this by using salt.
Add in your favorite veggies red bell pepper, cabbage, and sugar snaps are great additions.
Leftovers: Due to the nature of agar-agar powder it will become jello-like in the fridge but don’t fear will liquefy once it’s heated again!
Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Bowls
Have dinner out in 30 minutes! A flavor-packed bowl with amazing teriyaki sauce!
- 3/4 cup coconut aminos
- 4 tbsp agave (can sub coconut sugar)
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp agar-agar powder ( can sub corn starch)
Chicken, Veggies, and Rice:
- 2 lbs chicken thighs (can sub breast) chopped in cubes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 1/3 cups diced carrots
- 3 cups broccoli diced
- 1/4 cup green onions diced
- sesame seeds (optional)
For the teriyaki sauce:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the coconut aminos, agave, rice vinegar, garlic, and ginger. Stir with a whisk for 2 minutes.
- Mix in the agar agar powder and the water. Stir until sauce comes to a low boil and then reduce it to a simmer, turn off the heat.
For the chicken:
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add in sesame oil, chicken, minced garlic, and onion powder. Cook chicken till lightly brown on the outside about 4 minutes.
- Add in the broccoli and carrots, sauté for 2 more minutes. Pour the teriyaki sauce into your chicken and veggies. Stir and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
To assemble bowls:
- Layer rice into 4 bowls and top with chicken and veggies. Drizzle desired about of teriyaki sauce and top with green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Easy no fuss bowls that are perfect for meal prep, lunch and dinner. Prepare these bowls and have a healthy lunch or dinner for the week!
After a week of all inclusive eating tacos and drinking margaritas in Mexico, its time for a little break. Craving all the vegetables!! These are my favorite bowls to eat during the week. Once you make this bowl you will find yourself wanting more, healthy eating does not have to be gross or boring.
Before we jump into the recipe I want to say that I don’t think of these bowls as a “recipe” they are customizable and easy to make. You can put different veggies in your bowl every time out just stick to your favorites.
Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Bowls
Hearty noursih bowls perfect for lunch, dinner or meal prep!
- 2 cups cabbage (purple or green) cut in thin strips
- 1 zuchinni sliced into rounds
- 1 cup Brussels sprouts cut in half
- 1 bell pepper sliced core and seeds removed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- garlic powder, salt and black pepper
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup feta crumbles
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes roughly chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F. Spread out and evenly place veggies on your baking sheet. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and toss till veggies are evenly coated. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Bake for 25 minutes or until veggies are tender but crisp on edges.
- While veggies are roasting prepare your quinoa. In a small sauce pan combine water, quinoa and salt. Bring to a boil then turn down heat and cover. Cook for 15 mins then turn off heat, keep covered for 7 minutes while heat is off. Fluff with fork before serving.
- Assemble bowls by adding quinoa and an assorment of veggies. Sprinkle liberally with feta, sun dried tomatoes and pine nuts. Enoy!
- Note- if you are mal prepping you can place everything in containers and microwave when you are ready to eat.
- Optional but totally reccomened to add avocado chunks!
Pumpkin spice and all things nice! One bowl, refined sugar and gluten free. These are super soft, cake like, moist and loaded with chocolate chips.
Pumpkin bars fully packed with all beautiful Fall flavor. All the warm spices that make pumpkin treats so amazing. The combination of pumpkin + chocolate is a match made in heaven totally right up there with chocolate + peanut butter, in my opinion.
I hope you try these!! I can not put into words how delicious they are! Perfect for Fall however they are great anytime of the year. I love having mine with coffee or tea. Something special about next day baked goods that taste so dang delicious so if you can hold off on not eating them all after baking you in for a real treat day 2 and 3!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars
Perfect Fall treat! Refined, dairy and gluten free!
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick spray and line with parchment paper that hangs over for easy removal.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree, coconut sugar, coconut oil, and almond milk. Whisk till well combined.
- Add in the almond flour, pumkin spice and baking powder. Stir in the dry ingredients till combined.
- You can fold in your cholate chips or place them on top like I did.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth out the top. If you did not fold in the choclate chips go ahead and press them into the top.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool before slicing. Enjoy!
With a pint of blackberries ready to eat and a few sad bananas in the fruit basket, I went ahead and took matters into my own hands. Whipped up this unique ONE BOWL, refined sugar free, Vegan and gluten free banana bread with a blackberry twist. This is not your average banana bread its a light, healthy and utterly delicious take on it!
Using a minimal 8 ingredients and one bowl because lets be honest…dishes are the pits! These bars where a huge hit after school today with my kiddos! Kid and mama approved is always a bonus!! This berrylicious banana bread is my new favorite. It is extremely simple to make, slightly dense, packs a big flavor and perfectly moist! The kids enjoyed it with a ice cold glass of almond milk and I love mine with some tea or coffee. It can be made in a bread pan but I find it comes out best in a brownie pan.
To make start with a medium size bowl and combine your ripe bananas, coconut sugar, chia seeds, almond milk and coconut oil. Mash bananas while mixing all ingredients together.
Now that wet ingredients are mixed, add in your almond flour and baking soda. Mix in the dry ingredients.
Gently fold in your blackberries, and transfer to your prepared baking dish.
Place more halved blackberries on top and bake!
Blackberry Banana Bread Bars
The best Berrylicious snacking bread! Refined Sugar Free, Gluten Free, Vegan, and Dang Delicious!
- 2 bananas very ripe
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup blackberries halved
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F, and greese a 9' x 13' cake pan, I use avocado oil spray.
- In a medium bowl combine the bananas, coconut sugar, chia seeds, almond milk and coconut oil. Comnine till all ingredients are well incorperated.
- Add in the almond flour and baking powder, combine till all ingredients are mixed in.
- Gently fold in 3/4 cups of the blackberries, reserve the rest for topping.
- Pour batter into prapred cake pan. Using the back of a spoon even out the batter. Top with the rest of your blackberries.
- Bake for 1 hr and 5 mins. Let cool and enjoy!! Stores great in fridge!
The most perfect Gluten, Refined Sugar & Dairy free Brownies! They are so fudgy, rich, and chocolatey with a crispy exterior. This is a one bowl mix!
I have fallen in love with Almond Flour! Its become my favorite flour to bake with. It is no surprise that I have a sweet tooth. Baking a brownie that taste like a brownie but is so much healthier than your average brownie brings me pure joy! I don’t like feeling icky after eating junk, so here you have my healthified brownie babes!
Brownies have always been my favorite chocolate fix. I love the simplicity of them! The fudgier the better in my opinion! You won’t even notice they are gluten, refined sugar or dairy free! Store them in the fridge, they won’t last long!
Fudgy Chocolate Brownies
Rich, supremely dense, crinkly outside thick and fudgy inside! Refined sugar, Gluten, and Dairy FREE!
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- dash of salt
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips + more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease and line a 8-inch square pan.
- In a medium bowl combine apple sauce, coconut oil, eggs, vanilla, salt, coconut sugar. Mix till alll ingredients are well combined.
- Mix in the cocoa powder and almond flour and baking powder.
- Fold in chocolate chips. Pour into baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
Plant based protein packed smoothie as creamy as a milkshake. Made with simple and healthy ingredients that will will keep you full and satisfied. Easy enough to make in large batches and store in the freezer!
I love all my make ahead meals!! FoodSaver FM200 helps me save time and money, keeping my food fresh as can be!! As a proud partner with them I bring you the most delicious superfood packed make ahead smoothie! Life is so much easier when things are prepped and ready to go!
As a busy mama, meals need to be quick with minimal cleanup! There is no more excuses for me to go spend 8.00 on a smoothie when I have my favorite ready to go in the freezer! Honestly, who doesn’t like to save time and money?! I’d like to also mention its the number 1 best selling vacuum sealing brand, ETL safety certified and comes with a 5 year limited warranty!
These smoothie packs will store in your freezer for months thanks to the life saver… I MEAN FoodSaver!! Pull it out, pour in milk and blend it up! It is so creamy and delicious, the combination of mint and chocolate is ridiculously good! You can easily put together a bunch of these and have smoothies ready for the whole month! Total time saver and no yucky freezer taste or freezer burn!!
Left overs, meats, fruits and veggies, trust me this vacuum does it all. I would never partner with a brand I didn’t know or love! Enjoy!
Mint Chocolate Protein Smoothie Freezer Pack
Creamy plant based protein packed smoothie!
- 1/2 medium banana
- 1/4 avacado
- 1 scoop protien powder, chocolate or vanilla
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 10-12 mint leaves
- 3 drops peppermint extract
- 1/4 tsp spirulina
- 1 date, pitted
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup ice
- Add all ingredients except the coconut milk and ice into the FoodSaver bag. Seal bag and store in freezer.
- When ready to blend, dump contents plus 1 cup of coconut milk and ice into blender and blend till smooth.
This recipe is for 1 smoothie.