Southwestern Chopped Chicken Salad is loaded with tons of veggies, chicken, crispy tortilla chips, and tossed in a creamy southwestern dressing made from greek yogurt. This is a salad we can all agree on!
This salad is perfect for a warm summer night dinner or Bbq. Southwestern Chopped Chicken Salad is loaded with tons of flavor and texture. For the dressing I went with a Greek yogurt-base, however, you could easily sub any fiesta or ranch dressing you may like!
Its been so hot here, summer is truly my favorite season, I love warm weather and long beach days with the kids. This summer will be my first being super pregnant during summer months, not sure how much I will be loving summer in August and September, haha! One thing I know for sure is that this Southwestern Chopped Chicken Salad will be on repeat, such an easy and delicious meal! I used rotisserie chicken which makes this meal a 15 min prep time, whoo!
Ingredients for Southwestern Chopped Chicken Salad you will need plus substitutions:
- Chicken, grill your own, use rotisserie or sub ground turkey or beef.
- Tortilla chips, use your favorite, personally I go for the saltiest & crunchiest around, you don’t want to leave this ingredient out!
- Cheddar cheese, but any cheese you like will work pepper jack and Monterey jack would be great.
- Lettuce, crunchy romaine is best in this salad.
- Corn, you can use fresh sweet corn or drained canned corn.
- Black beans, but use your favorite!
- Avocado, never pass on avocado!
- Red onion
There are lots of options when throwing this salad together, if you want to keep this more of a side dish you can leave out chicken completely! If you’re making this for the week add avocado and dressing before serving. Do not toss the salad until you are ready to serve, nobody likes a soggy salad. Lastly, ENJOY!
LOVE FRESH AND EASY SALADS, ALSO TRY:
- Strawberry Fields Salad
- Chinese Chicken Chopped Salad
- Beet and Goat Cheese Salad + Golden Balsamic Dressing
- Tuscan Kale Salad with Apples
- Harvest Salad with Apple’s and Sweet Balsamic Vinaigrette
Southwestern Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tso cumin
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinager
- 1/2 tsp agave
- salt to taste
- 7 cups chopped romaine (about 2 romaine hearts)
- 1 cup corn kernals
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 1/2 cups chicken breast, cubed
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together, except salt. Taste and add salt to your liking. Let dressing sit a minimum of 10 minutes for flavors to meld.
- Add all salad ingredients to a salad bowl. If you are serving later add chips and avocado before serving.
- Before serving toss the dressing in the salad or serve on the side, enjoy!!
This Steak Marinade is full of flavor and so easy to make! You likely have all the ingredients on hand.
I’ve tried a lot of different steak marinades! Some good some bad, nothing compares to this steak marinade I’m about to give you! We use it over and over! The only time we change it up is when we make Carne asada. This marinade gives the steak so much flavor you are going to love it.
What Is The Best Cut of Steak For this Marinade
I find rib eye, new york strip, top sirloin, skirt, and flank steak work best.
This comes down to personal preference, I like mine medium-well but more on the well-done side. You want to take the steak temperature in the thickest part of the meat, make sure to insert your thermometer horizontally. Never cut into the steak you will lose all the juices that keep the meat moist and tender. Here is a temperature guide.
- Rare: 125 – 130 degrees
- Medium rare: 130 – 135 degrees
- Medium: 135 – 145 degrees
- Medium well: 145 – 150 degrees
- Well: 150 – 160 degrees (my preference)
Need the perfect side to go with your steak also try, Perfect Mashed Potatoes, Healthier Hawaiian Macaroni Salad, Beet, and Goat Cheese Salad + Golden Balsamic Dressing, Easy Greek Pasta Salad.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or can sub tamari
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 (8 oz) steaks
1. In a mixing bowl whisk together balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, garlic powder, dried parsley, and black pepper.
2. Grab a zip lock bag and place steaks in the bag. Pour marinade over the steak and try to press out extra air before sealing the bag. Transfer to the refrigerator and let steaks marinate for 1 to 8 hours.
3. Preheat your grill or cast iron to medium-high heat, cook till the desired doneness. Let steaks rest a minimum of five minutes before cutting into them. Enjoy
Greek Orzo Pasta Salad is a bright and fresh salad full of crunchy vegetables in every bite. Take it with you to a BBQ or serve it at home, this pasta salad goes with everything.
This Greek Orzo Pasta Salad is one of those recipes you can serve with a lot of different dishes. We love it with our favorite grilled steak or chicken, and also on its own.
I have had orzo in my pantry for months, it’s one of those kinds of pasta I don’t use often but I should. Orzo tastes just like pasta, and it’s so easy to work with. Earlier this week I made it to Costco to get groceries it was a nightmare thanks to all the panic shopping going on because of COVID-19. I got lots of fresh produce and a big thing of feta crumbles, yum! I had everything on had to create this delicious Greek Orzo Pasta Salad!
Can I take this moment to do a little bragging? Okay! Both my kids thought Greek Orzo Pasta Salad was delicious!! They usually do not love dishes with diced raw onion, but no complaining this time, yay!
This Pasta Salad is perfect for lunch, dinner, a bbq, and even a gathering! Enjoy friends!
Love easy side dishes also try, Healthier Hawaiian Macaroni Salad, Beet, and Goat Cheese Salad + Golden Balsamic Dressing, Instant Pot Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup, and Mediterranean Quinoa Salad.
- 1 cup orzo, dry
- 2/3 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2/3 cup cucumbers, chopped
- 1/4 cup feta crumbles
- 3 tbsp red onion, chopped
- 1/4 black olives, diced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook orzo till al dente. Drain and run under cold water till completely cooled.
- Combine orzo, tomatoes, onion, cucumbers, olives, and onion in a mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl combine lemon juice, olive oil, garlic powder, dried oregano, and red wine vinegar. Whisk till combined.
- Pour over the salad and stir.
- Fold in the feta.
- Taste, season with salt and pepper.
- Serve garnishes like fresh dill or parsley and lemon wedges.
If you like more feta or onion you can always taste and adjust to your preference.
Tuscan Kale Salad is the perfect Fall salad full of sweet, crisp, and savory flavor! A simple salad to make and healthy too!
Do you love Fall salads!? I sure do!! This big bowl of kale salad will make you a kale lover! This year and every other year I get asked to bring a salad to my in-law’s Thanksgiving lunch. Every year I make a different one and this year, in particular, I haven’t decided yet! I know it is in 2 days…ha! It’s a toss-up for me between kale salad or arugula beet and goat cheese! I really love salad and am terrible and making choices!
My husband and Kale salad have come along way! Their relationship started when we met, haha! We did have a good 3-year vegan run together in what feels like forever ago! Sometimes I feel like people have to acclimate to the taste of kale, I get it its not for everyone but I do believe it becomes an acquired taste! In fact, hubs actually ask me for kale salads! Especially this one it’s just so good!!
The flavor in this salad is amazing, you get a little bit of everything! I used a mix of granny smith apples and honey crisp. I kept this salad super-low maintenance👌 and used candy pecans from traders also snagged my dried cranberries there too!
The dressing I made was absolutely delicious and really brings all the flavors together. The blend lemon poppy seed is one of my favorites! This kale salad is easy to make and full of incredible flavor, I just love it so much!
How do you make Tuscan Kale Salad
- Start by washing 2 heads of latticinio kale and pulling the leaves off the stems. To do this start and the bottom of the stem with you figure tips around the stem and pull it all the way to the top, dispose of stems. The Stems can be rather rough so do not skip this step
- Chop kale and place in your salad bowl
- Slice your apples and avocados and place them on top of your kale.
- Sprinkle with croutons, dried cranberries, parmesan, and candy pecans.
- In a mason jar or a small bowl combine your salad dressing ingredients.
- Pour your dressing over your salad, toss, serve, and enjoy!
This is not like other salads that become a wilted mess overnight! Latticino Kale is a tougher leaf and will keep 1-day before it starts looking very sad. The longer you let the kale sit in the dressing the more flavorful your salad will be.
If you make this Tuscan Kale Salad, please leave this recipe a rating!! I absolutely love hearing and engaging with you!
- 2 heads kale, shredded
- 1 granny smith apple, thinly sliced
- 1 honey crisp apple, thinly sliced
- 2 medium avocados, thinly sliced
- 1 5 oz bag candied pecans, I used Trader Joes brand
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup of unexpected cheddar Trader Joes brand, shredded (or sub parmesan)
- 1 cup croutons
- Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 lemon, juiced ( 2 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp shallot, finely diced
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp agave ( if you like a sweeter dressing you can always taste and adjust by adding more)
- salt & pepper to taste
Start by washing 2 heads of latticinio kale and pulling the leaves off the stems. To do this start and the bottom of the stem with you figure tips around the stem and pull it all the way to the top, dispose of stems.
Chop kale and place in your salad bowl.
Slice your apples and avocados and place them on top of your kale.
Sprinkle with croutons, dried cranberries, parmesan, and candy pecans.
In a mason jar or a small bowl combine your salad dressing ingredients.
Pour your dressing over your salad, toss, serve, and enjoy!
If you prefer a sweeter salad dressing, add in a little more agave, taste and adjust to your desired level of sweetness.
Serving Size:1 | 8 freestyle points |
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 249Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 172mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 6gSugar: 15gProtein: 4g
Roasted Brussels sprouts with Sausage is a great gluten-free side and perfect for the holidays, with only a handful of ingredients this is an easy dish with the most delicious flavor.
Brussels sprouts always seems to make an appearance on our holiday table. Tossed together with sweet Italian sausage makes for such a delicious combo. Never did I think I would love Brussels sprouts so much until I made this low carb dish. I must say I’ve come along way in my love for this veggie, in fact as a kid I would never even come close to trying it, the smell alone would make me cringe! However, today I will strongly stand by my love for Brussels sprouts, they are so versatile, and those charred crispy pieces are my favorite!
Made on a sheet pan and packed with flavor, this recipe is an easy clean up and only has about 10 minuets of active cooking! The flavors from sage, rosemary, thyme, and chives make this recipe so festive tasting! Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Sausage can be eaten as a side dish but also a meal. If you like a spicy dish try using spicy Italian sausage. I have little ones at home so sometimes spicy will cause dinner drama, ha!
How do I make Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Sausage:
- First, half your Brussels sprouts lengthwise.
- On a large rimmed baking sheet combine your Brussels, sausage broken up into small clumps, herbs, salt, and pepper. Toss gently breaking up any big clumps of sausage.
- Next, roast and give it a nice stir halfway through roasting.
- Transfer the Brussels sprouts & sausage to a bowl and add in pomegranate seeds and feta.
- Before serving sprinkle with pistachios and a drizzle of thick balsamic vinegar/glaze.
- Brown is good. If you never had a charred Brussels sprouts pieces, you are missing out! The burnt little pieces are the best!
- Dry the Brussels sprouts. If you’re not buying pre-washed Brussels sprouts make sure you pat them dry before baking to ensure those crispy pieces.
- Are you into spicer foods, add hot Italian sausage or do a combo of both sweet and spicy for a flavorful kick!
- Always taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Sausage would be tasty with any combination of herbs so my recommendation would be to use what you like!
- 2 lbs Brussels Sprouts, halved
- 1 lb Italian sausage, ground
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pom poms (pomegranate seeds)
- 1/2 cup feta crumbles
- 1/4 cup pistachio's
- Thick balsamic vinegar or glaze
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
Wash and trim your Brussels sprouts. Pat them dry and cut in half lengthwise.
On a large rimmed baking sheet combine your Brussels, sausage broken up into small clumps, herbs, salt, and pepper. Toss gently breaking up any big clumps of sausage.
Roast for 40 minutes giving it a nice stir halfway thru.
Transfer the Brussels sprouts & sausage to a bowl and toss in pomegranate seeds and feta.
Before serving sprinkle with pistachios and a thick balsamic vinegar/glaze.
Yield:8 | 9 Freestyle Points |
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 548mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 16g
Spinach, mushroom, and feta quiche is loaded with fresh veggies and feta cheese. In fact, the flavor reminds me of Greek spanakopita. This quiche is super simple to make and wildly delicious. Start with a pre-made pie crust, sautee your veggies, whisk your eggs, and bake!
Quiche is easy to personalize you can almost always use your favorite veggies, cheese and even add in your favorite protein. It freezes well and is an easy reheat on the days you seem to not have enough time to make a meal. I love having it in the freezer for days when groceries are low and I want a home-cooked meal.
Can I bake it without a crust?
Absolutely! The same method as baking with a crust however generously spray your dish to avoid sticking. Cooking without a crust is a great low carb alternative.
How do I make Spinach, Mushroom and Feta Quiche?
Bake pie crust: Preheat the oven and bake crust for 10 minutes while you’re preparing the quiche.
Cook the spinach and mushrooms: Melt butter in a non-stick pan and saute veggies. Let cool.
Mix: Mix together eggs and milk and add onion salt, salt, and pepper.
Combine: Stir in cheese and veggies into the eggs.
Bake: Pour the filling into your partially baked pie crust and let the magic happen!
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 3-4 cups baby spinach
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 tsp onion salt
- 3/4 cup feta crumbles
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Place your pie crust on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Place butter in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add in mushrooms and sauté till tender. Add in baby spinach and cook till wilted. Turn off heat and let cool slightly.
- In a medium sized bowl add the eggs and milk then whisk till combined. Season with onion salt, salt, and pepper. Gently stir in the feta cheese.
- Pour filling over your partially baked pie crust and bake for 35-40 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
This is the tastiest and easiest broccoli, kale, and cheddar quiche recipe. Start with a pre-made pie crust, sauté your veggies, whisk your eggs and bake! You can personalize this quiche by us using your favorite veggies, cheese and even adding in your favorite protein.
Quiche is simple and a total crowd-pleaser also a great way to get in green veggies. You can eat it at any meal and it is very easy to reheat. This quiche is the perfect addition to your breakfast spread.
I think we can all agree quiche is the best party food, most adore it. Serve this up at your next shower, brunch or small gathering. Such a delicious and easy meal, you are going to love every last bite. If you do not like the strong flavor of kale swap it out for baby kale or spinach they are milder.
Can I bake without a crust?
Yes!! The same way you would bake with a crust just generously spray your dish with cooking spray to avoid sticking. I love crustless quiche however my kids love the crust!
How to make Kale, Broccoli, and Cheddar Quiche:
Bake pie crust: pre-heat your oven and bake crust for 10 minutes.
Cook the kale, broccoli, and onion. Melt butter in a non-stick pan and sauté veggies till soft. Let cool.
Mix: Mix together eggs and milk.
Combine: stir in cheese and veggies into the eggs.
Bake: pour filling into your partially baked pie crust and bake!
Love quiche? Also try, Spinach, Mushroom, and Feta Quiche
Kale, Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup chopped kale stems removed
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/4 cup white onion diced
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk, can sub half and half or nonfat
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Place your pie crust on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Place butter in a nonstick pan on medium-high heat. Add in the kale, onion, and broccoli. Sauté for 4-5 minutes till veggies are tender and fragrant. Turn off heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In medium sized bowl add the eggs and milk and whisk till combined. Season with salt and pepper. Gently stir in the veggies and cheese.
- Pour filling over your partially baked pie crust an bake for 35-40 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
Honestly, what is better than a tender, crisp, golden-brown chicken cutlet! Gluten-Free Parmesan Chicken Cutlets can turn into the perfect chicken parmesan or star as the main dish at any meal.
Chicken Cutlets is a Gluten-Free dish everyone in my household loves. Serve it up with your favorite side dishes and you got yourself an insanely delicious meal. I believe anyone can make these and everyone will love them. The technique is simple, dip the chicken cutlet in almond flour, next dip in the egg, and lastly the panko mixture.
There are a few things you can do to ensure your success with chicken cutlets:
- First make sure your cutlet is not to thick, pound it out, baby! Pounding the chicken will keep it thin and also tenderize it.
- Second, don’t buy preseasoned panko, season it yourself! Fresh herbs are a game-changer do not sell yourself short!
- Seasonings and fresh herbs bring so much life and flavor to a dish.
- Lastly, do not forget the cheese!! More cheese.. even better, in my opinion, ha!
You can slather these chicken cutlets up with marinara and mozzarella for the most amazing chicken parmesan ever!! You’re going to love these guys!! They are a great weeknight meal option for the entire family!
Gluten-Free Parmesan Chicken Cutlets
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup panko
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 6 4-5 ounce chicken cutlets 1/4-1/2 inch thick
- optional fresh basil for serving
- Use 3 shallow dishes. Spread flour in first dish. Beat eggs in second dish, and in the third dish combine panko, parmesan, garlic powder, oregano.
- Pat dry cutlets and season with salt and pepper. Using 1 cutlet at a time dredge in flour, dip in egg, and coat with panko mixture pressing gently to adhere. Transfer to a large plate.
Pan Fry Chicken
- Layer a clean large dish with paper towels. Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until hot. Add 3 cutlets at a time cooking till golden brown and crispy, about 4-5 minutes each side.
- Transfer cutlets to paper towel lined dish and cover with foil. Wipe skillet and repeat pouring in oil and cooking 3 cuttles at a time.
Easy Greek Pasta Salad is the perfect easy side and the ultimate potluck hit that everyone will enjoy!! With a beautiful blend of crisp juicy veggies and feta tossed in greek dressing make for the perfect pasta salad.
There is something so wonderful about greek salad seems like I always have the ingredients on hand. With an extra box of pasta chilling in the pantry I thought hey why not try a greek pasta salad! The combination of juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumbers, bell pepper, red onion, feta and olives tossed in Greek dressing makes for a crazy good meal.
Of course, I recommended making the dressing but if you find yourself short on time toss in a store bought dressing. The salad will hold up in the fridge for up to 5 days. It is perfect for packed lunches, BBQ’s and potlucks.
To make it is so simple!
- Cook your pasta according to package and rinse with cold water to stop cooking
- Wash and chop your veggies while the pasta is cooking.
- Combine everything in a large bowl and toss in the dressing. Chill and serve!
- 1 lb short pasta
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 zucchini's spirulized (4 cups)
- 1 1/2 cup cucumber diced
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 oz sliced black olives, drain juice from can
- 1 cup feta crumbles
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp red wine vinager
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse under cold water.
- While pasta is cooking prepare your dressing then wash and chop your veggies.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss in dressing. Chill in fridge and enjoy!
This easy, spicy cilantro jalapeño hummus is going to be your new favorite dip! Hummus is my go to healthy dip! It is so versatile and I love to play around with the flavors and this cilantro jalapeño packs such great taste!
Serve it with a variety different veggies, crackers, or pita chips for dipping. Spread it on your avocado toast and top it with a fried egg, game changer! Make in minutes if your using canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans). The hummus is addicting. I left it in the fridge and when I came back it was gone! It is great addition to serve on your veggie platter!
Cilantro Jalapeño Hummus
- 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 inch thumb of jalepeno, more if your like it spicy!
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- Place all ingredients into your food processor and process till smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust if needed! Enjoy!