Nutted Wild Rice Pilaf is an amazing side dish filled with so much flavor and texture. The combination of sweet potatoes, nuts, herbs, cranberries, and wild rice come together and make this dish unforgettable!
One of my favorite things about this time of year is all the gatherings. I love getting together with family and friends and sharing in the spirit of gratitude for all we are so grateful for. It is a beautiful time of year and for me feels like newness is upon us. Before my parents went their separate ways we would always have the most beautiful and over the top thanksgivings spreads! I am one of 5 kids, so there were always tons of delicious food! My mom is one of the best cooks I know!! Now that, that chapter has come to a close the torch has been passed my way!
Okay, I’m not trying to make this a sob story, I swear its happy! Now that I get to host I do very much still make the original family mashed potato and stuffing recipes, however, I add my own twist things! That’s the beauty of starting something new its a chance to change and make things better!! I can not wait to get a bigger place and start hosting for my friends too! Nutted Wild Rice Pilaf is a dish nobody will forget and my favorite part about it is the various levels of texture and delicious flavor. You get it all with this dish!
Incorporating fall flavors is easy and makes everything taste like you’ve been working at it all day. This Nutted Rice Pilaf goes great as a side dish but I also love it on its on! Its hearty and taste great with a side arugula salad.
How do I cook Nutted Wild Rice Pilaf:
In a medium sauce pan bring 2 cups of chicken broth to a boil. Next, stir in your wild rice blend. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 30-35 minutes. Uncover and fluff wild rice blend with a fork, cooking for an additional 5 minutes.
While the rice is simmering in another skillet add olive oil, sweet potato and onion, cook till tender. Add in pecans, walnuts, cranberries, and garlic, keep cooking for 2 minutes. Lastly add in the rice, spices and combine.
Love an easy side dish also try, Easy Greek Pasta Salad.
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 2 cups chicken broth (veggie broth vegan option)
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
In a medium saucepan bring 2 cups of chicken broth to a boil. Next, stir in your wild rice blend. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 30-35 minutes. Uncover and fluff wild rice blend with a fork, cooking for an additional 5 minutes. While the rice is simmering in another skillet add olive oil, sweet potato, and onion, cook till tender. Add in pecans, walnuts, cranberries, and garlic, keep cooking for 2 minutes. Lastly, add in rice and spices and combine.
Yield:6 | 7 freestyle points |
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 420mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 4gSugar: 14gProtein: 5g
Roasted Brussels sprouts with Sausage is a great gluten-free side and perfect for the holidays, with only a handful of ingredients this is an easy dish with the most delicious flavor.
Brussels sprouts always seems to make an appearance on our holiday table. Tossed together with sweet Italian sausage makes for such a delicious combo. Never did I think I would love Brussels sprouts so much until I made this low carb dish. I must say I’ve come along way in my love for this veggie, in fact as a kid I would never even come close to trying it, the smell alone would make me cringe! However, today I will strongly stand by my love for Brussels sprouts, they are so versatile, and those charred crispy pieces are my favorite!
Made on a sheet pan and packed with flavor, this recipe is an easy clean up and only has about 10 minuets of active cooking! The flavors from sage, rosemary, thyme, and chives make this recipe so festive tasting! Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Sausage can be eaten as a side dish but also a meal. If you like a spicy dish try using spicy Italian sausage. I have little ones at home so sometimes spicy will cause dinner drama, ha!
How do I make Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Sausage:
- First, half your Brussels sprouts lengthwise.
- On a large rimmed baking sheet combine your Brussels, sausage broken up into small clumps, herbs, salt, and pepper. Toss gently breaking up any big clumps of sausage.
- Next, roast and give it a nice stir halfway through roasting.
- Transfer the Brussels sprouts & sausage to a bowl and add in pomegranate seeds and feta.
- Before serving sprinkle with pistachios and a drizzle of thick balsamic vinegar/glaze.
- Brown is good. If you never had a charred Brussels sprouts pieces, you are missing out! The burnt little pieces are the best!
- Dry the Brussels sprouts. If you’re not buying pre-washed Brussels sprouts make sure you pat them dry before baking to ensure those crispy pieces.
- Are you into spicer foods, add hot Italian sausage or do a combo of both sweet and spicy for a flavorful kick!
- Always taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Sausage would be tasty with any combination of herbs so my recommendation would be to use what you like!
- 2 lbs Brussels Sprouts, halved
- 1 lb Italian sausage, ground
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pom poms (pomegranate seeds)
- 1/2 cup feta crumbles
- 1/4 cup pistachio's
- Thick balsamic vinegar or glaze
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
Wash and trim your Brussels sprouts. Pat them dry and cut in half lengthwise.
On a large rimmed baking sheet combine your Brussels, sausage broken up into small clumps, herbs, salt, and pepper. Toss gently breaking up any big clumps of sausage.
Roast for 40 minutes giving it a nice stir halfway thru.
Transfer the Brussels sprouts & sausage to a bowl and toss in pomegranate seeds and feta.
Before serving sprinkle with pistachios and a thick balsamic vinegar/glaze.
Yield:8 | 9 Freestyle Points |
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 548mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 16g