Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Bowls take 30 minutes to make and are the perfect weeknight dinner for the whole family. On busy nights this is my go-to meal. A beautiful blend of chicken, carrots, broccoli simmered in a homemade teriyaki sauce and served over a bed of rice. Your next dinner is only 30 minutes away.
Isn’t it the best when all parties in your home love dinner. I do have one child that usually has something to say before every dinner even before she even takes a bite. That is unless its something like cupcakes or ice-cream. Happy to announce that this meal has my most opinionated child stamp of approval, in fact, she asked me to make Chicken Teriyaki again, winning!
I grew up competitively swimming and I must say at every swim meet there were teriyaki chicken bowls and they were my favorite thing about swim meets, ha! Swimmers, I think we can all relate teriyaki bowls and cup o’ noodles, are a swim meet snack bar staples! As I got older and more into eating clean I learned of all the added sugars and nonsense added into a bottle of pre-packed teriyaki sauce. I promise to give you the best quality ingredients in this sauce. I used agave for sweetener but feel free to sub for honey or coconut sugar.
You can make this low carb very easily by throwing it over some cauliflower rice or having it as a lettuce wrap. If you’re looking to beef up these bowls cook up some frozen egg rolls to go along with the bowls.
Can I Make This With Frozen Vegetables?
YES! But cook the veggies first to avoid a watery bowl. Feel free to add in your favorite veggies I love adding steamed cabbage!
Do I have to cook the chicken stovetop?
Nope! Feel free to use the grill just keep the chicken whole. In a pinch, use could even get away with using ground chicken or rotisserie chicken!
Tips for Success:
Don’t use excess salt coconut aminos is salty enough, you can easily over salt this by using salt.
Add in your favorite veggies red bell pepper, cabbage, and sugar snaps are great additions.
Leftovers: Due to the nature of agar-agar powder it will become jello-like in the fridge but don’t fear will liquefy once it’s heated again!
Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Bowls
Have dinner out in 30 minutes! A flavor-packed bowl with amazing teriyaki sauce!
- 3/4 cup coconut aminos
- 4 tbsp agave (can sub coconut sugar)
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp agar-agar powder ( can sub corn starch)
Chicken, Veggies, and Rice:
- 2 lbs chicken thighs (can sub breast) chopped in cubes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 1/3 cups diced carrots
- 3 cups broccoli diced
- 1/4 cup green onions diced
- sesame seeds (optional)
For the teriyaki sauce:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the coconut aminos, agave, rice vinegar, garlic, and ginger. Stir with a whisk for 2 minutes.
- Mix in the agar agar powder and the water. Stir until sauce comes to a low boil and then reduce it to a simmer, turn off the heat.
For the chicken:
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add in sesame oil, chicken, minced garlic, and onion powder. Cook chicken till lightly brown on the outside about 4 minutes.
- Add in the broccoli and carrots, sauté for 2 more minutes. Pour the teriyaki sauce into your chicken and veggies. Stir and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
To assemble bowls:
- Layer rice into 4 bowls and top with chicken and veggies. Drizzle desired about of teriyaki sauce and top with green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!