Steak Fajitas are a Tex-Mex restaurant staple. Made with juicy grilled meat, charred peppers and onions, and served with warm tortillas, SOO SOO GOOD.
One of my favorite things to order at Mexican restaurants is fajitas! However they have to come out on that sizzling plate, you know what I am talking out! The smell of the onions and peppers can take over a room and give you order envy. I don’t live that way bring me the fajitas, please! I’ll eat my salad at home!
Luckily for us, we can pretty much grill year-round in Southern California. But if you don’t have access to a grill, no problem! You can cook these juicy steak fajitas on your cast iron skillet if you have a cast iron grill even better. While the meat rests you can throw your veggies in the cast iron or cook them in a separate pan.
The marinade doubles as a sauce, you will save about a 1/4 cup to pour over your prepared fajitas, this really gives it so much flavor!
Traditionally these are served with refried beans, rice, salsa, guacamole, and warm tortillas. While the Steak Fajitas are cooking you can prep the extras, as many or little as you like! We serve this family-style big tray of fajitas, rice and beans, tortillas, and all the fixings to load up your own way! So let’s get grilling and bring your favorite Tex-Mex meal to the table today!
- 4 limes, juice of (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 Serrano pepper, seeded and diced finely
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp agave
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp, finely diced cilantro leaves
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chile powder
- 1.5 pounds flank steak (can sub skirt steak)
- 1 large onion , sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 3 bell peppers, stemmed and seeded, cut into strips
- 12 flour tortillas
- Whisk together lime juice, avocado oil, serrano pepper, soy sauce, agave, minced garlic, cilantro, cumin, and chile powder. Transfer 1/4 cup of marinade to a separate bowl and set aside.
- Half the steaks crosswise and transfer to a ziplock bag. Pour marinade over steak and seal the bag. Let steak marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Remove steak from bag and place on the grill, discard of remaining marinade. Cook steak 4-6 minutes per side, or until the desired doneness. Remove steak from the grill at let it rest.
- Brush veggies with oil and add veggies to the grill. Grill veggies turning occasionally, until charred and softened about 8-12 minutes.
- Warm tortillas and wrap in a clean dish towel to keep warm.
- Slice steak against the grain in thin slices and brush with the raining 1/4 cup marinade. Serve with peppers, onions, and warm tortillas. Enjoy!