Citrus Pollo Asado Bowls with Avocado Salad is one of our family favorites! A quick weeknight meal everyone loves. Use the leftovers for tacos, bowls, burritos, quesadillas and on top of salads! Pollo Asado truly is the perfect blend of sweet and smokey.
Happy first day of Fall my amazing blog family, we are steadily growing and I could not be more thankful! September days are nearly over and we are full steam ahead into the Holliday season. Now with the kids back in school, time is of the essence especially because I have become that mom taxi! Honestly if I am not totally organized I feel like everything will fall apart. Thus, I like to create quick ad delicious weeknight meals packed with nutrition. I avoid getting takeout during the week by planning my meals every Sunday however some weeknight call for takeout occasionally.
Mexican food is one thing we can all get on board within my household. Pollo Asado is sweet and slightly smokey it tastes fantastic with some extra lime juice drizzled on top. I recommend you marinate chicken 2-4 hours or overnight. It tastes best grilled or cooked in a cast-iron skillet. Leftovers will keep for up to 5 days and you can use it in different meals so it won’t feel like your eating the same old leftovers!
We like ours over a bed of rice with a side of avocado salad. The flavors in the bowl come together beautifully. What’s Mexican food without a little rice and beans! I typically serve this with beans however I just happened to be out! These bowls will not disappoint!
Citrus Pollo Asado Bowls with Avocado Salad
Sweet & Smokey Chicken Perfect addition to any meal!
- 2 lbs chicken, can use breast, thighs or whole
- 2 tbsp adobo sauce from can
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1.5 - 2 cups rice cooked according to package
- 1 cup tomato diced
- 2 cups avocado diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves diced
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Pollo Asado:
- In a large ziplock freezer bag and in the adobo, citrus juice, minced garlic, and spices. Add in chicken pieces, seal bag massage chicken and marinate 2-4 hours. Don't let it marinate for longer the 24 hours as it will toughen the chicken, you want TENDER.
- Heat your cast iron and add cooking oil. Cook chicken on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes each side, or until center reads 165 F. If you choose to grill your chicken cook each side 7-10 minutes or until center reads 165 F and the outside is nicely chared. Let rest 3 minutes before cutting.
For the Avocado salad:
- In a medium bowl add all ingredients and toss. Be carful not to smash the avocado.
To assemble bowls:
- Layer rice in 4 or 5 bowls and top with chiken and avocado salad. I like to add purple cabbage but green leaf lettuce wokrs great too! Enjoy!