Don’t Pay the big bucks at a restaurant for a burger. You can make the best juicy indoor burgers from the comfort of your own home plus some finger-licking good sauce!
Alright, so I had this idea to do a burger backyard picnic with the family, trying to keep this quarantine a little more lively! So far during this pregnancy, I haven’t really been able to eat meat often, its a new food aversion for me. However, something about a big juicy burger sounded like heaven! Indoor burgers are so easy, juicy, and a huge hit with everyone. The sauce is in a class of its own, my five-year-old would lick bowl if I let her!
Lately, I’ve been doing all my grilling on my cast iron, everyone needs a good cast iron! I’ve collected a few over the years and a good cast iron skillet is worth the money. I’ve made Teriyaki Chicken Skewers, Authentic Carne Asada, and The Best Steak Marinade steak year-round on my cast iron! It really gives it that great grilling char we all love. Juicy Indoor Burgers are no exception, so why not serve up the best burgers and sauce for dinner tonight!
Making Juicy Indoor Burgers
I often find using good ground beef that is 80% lean and 20% fat works best, salt, and pepper that’s it! Start by breaking off fist-size pieces of your beef. You don’t want to pack and press the burgers to hard when shaping them our you will end up with tougher meat. Use the palm of your hand to flatten out burgers and gently round the edges, which does not need to be perfect.
There is one thing I learned a long time ago from my bother a master griller and that’s to always make the dimple in your burgers! Heres all you need to do, grab a spoon and press a dimple in the middle of your burger patty, this will help it keep size while cooking and also cook evenly.
Cook your patties in a cast iron or nonstick pan over medium-high heat. When the patty hits the pan it should sizzle right away. When you flip the burger it should have a nice dark sear on it. For a medium-well (7-8 minutes) done burger flip once you see a slight pink-red line on the side. If you like if well done (9-10 mins) burger like me, wait for the line to disappear before your flip your Juicy Indoor Smash Burger!
To Make Cheese Burgers
After you flip your burgers throw on your favorite slice of cheese! I find cheddar is usually a crowd-pleaser, but go wild use what you like! If you find your cheese isn’t melting fast enough cover with a lid.
Juicy Indoor Burgers + Sauce
Don't Pay the big bucks at a restaurant for a burger. You can make the best juicy indoor burgers from the comfort of your own home plus some finger-licking good sauce!
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 2 tbsp sweet relish
- 2 1/2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 lbs ground beef
- salt & pepper
- 6-8 hamburger buns
- butter or oil for the pan
- 6-8 slices of cheese
- Burger toppings: sliced tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, sliced or grilled onion.
For the Burger Sauce
- Add all ingredients to the bowl, whisk together till coconut sugar fully dissolves, about 1 minute. Set aside. Use in burgers and as a french fry dip!
For the burgers
- Divide the ground beef into 6-8 portions depending on the size and amount you would like to make.
- Form your patties into a disk by pushing down with the palm of your hand, keep the about 1 inch thick. Create a dimple in the middle using the back of a spoon and round out edges with your hands.
- Heat a small sear of butter in your cast iron or pan and place your buns face down and toast till golden brown, transfer to a plate.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, wait for the skillet to get hot. Place your burgers on the skillet leaving room between each burger, work in batches if needed. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and again when you flip the burger. Cook for 3-5 minutes per side.
- If you are adding cheese place it on once you flip your burger.
- When the burgers are done transfer them to your prepared buns. Give a generous smear of the delicious burger sauce and add your favorite toppings.