These Sausage and Peppers Dogs with Chipotle Aioli are the most delicious version of a summertime grilled hot dog you will eat. The flavor is an Italian/Mexican fusion! Made with grilled Italian chicken sausage, charred peppers, onions, and spicy chipotle aioli all tucked into a warm brioche bun. These are perfect for a summer Bbq or Memorial day party!
These grilled sausage and pepper dogs remind me so much of date nights, oh man I miss date nights out of the house, darn you COVID. I look forward to the next time we will go see a Laker game, have a blast all night and end it with a LA street dog! We’ve been doing this for 10 yrs! True Laker fans over here. However this grilled sausage craving could totally be related to my pregnancy too, haha!
Nothing is better than a summertime meal outside. I think we are all sick quarantine. I completely understand why my dog loves walks so much after I’ve been in this quarantine experience. Today I walked the aisles safely in my favorite store, Trader Joes, went for brioche buns came out with that, and much more! I always get sucked in by the seasonal items. I used TJ’s organic Italian Chicken Sausage for the sausage dogs, but any cooked Italian sausage will work great.
The flavor of these dogs is more of an Italian/Mexican fusion. We get the best of both worlds in every single bite! The chipotle aioli brings a nice spicy flavor that makes this so addicting. Needless to say, these will be a new summer grilling favorite.
How to make Sausage and Pepper Dogs with Chipotle Aioli
- In a small bowl whisk all aioli ingredients together and set aside.
- Grill your Italian chicken sausages, set aside covered to keep warm.
- Next grill your pepper and onion tossed in olive oil and salt to taste.
- Warm the brioche buns.
- Assemble your dogs and serve with fresh cilantro and as much aioli as your heart desires.
Looking for more summertime meal ideas also try:
- Easy Grilled Chicken Teriyaki
- Fresh Corn Salsa
- Authentic Carne Asada
- Fresh Mango Salsa
- Marinated Tomatoes
- Mexican Orange Chipotle Chicken
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder, use 1/4 tsp to make aioli less spicy
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 lime, juice of
- salt to taste
Sausage and Pepper Dogs
- 12 ounces sweet Italian chicken sausage (5 links), I used Trader Joe's brand
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 white onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 brioche hot dog buns
- cilantro leaves, chopped, for serving
- In a small bowl whisk together mayo, chipotle powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, lime juice, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl toss peppers and onions in avocado oil and salt.
- Preheat grill or cast-iron skillet to medium-high heat. Place sausages on grill and peppers and onions in a grill basket or separate pan. Cook till sausages are warm with grill maks and veggies are soft. Remove sausage and veggies and place buns face down for 30 seconds to warm.
- Serve chicken sausage in your brioche buns with a scoop of peppers & onions, a drizzle of chipotle aioli, and a sprinkle of cilantro. Enjoy!
Sheet pan dinners, I love them and mainly because of the minimal amount of dishes I have to do! Sheet Pan Roasted Sausage, Peppers & Potatoes is a fuss-free dinner perfect for any weeknight. I love Italian chicken sausage, I get the pre-cooked one from trader joes, it’s just where I do the majority of my grocery shopping these days. The precooked sausage is easiest to work with and taste great in Roasted Sausage, Peppers & Potatoes.
Veggies Variations for Roasted Sausage, Peppers & Potatoes
The most important thing here is to cut the veggies into even shapes and sizes so it cooks evenly. The potatoes always take the longest to cook so my advice is to dice them in smaller pieces. I used some sweet potato in this dish, however, if you do not like sweet potato feel free to use just russet. Veggies can be swapped out in almost all dishes I highly recommend you use what you love, broccoli, zucchini, and mushrooms are great additions.
Love sheet pan meals also try, Balsamic Honey Sheet Pan Chicken & Veggies + Video, and Rosemary Honey Chicken with Roasted Veggies + Video.
- 12 oz Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage
- 2 medium bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 2 russet potatoes, cubed
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the potatoes into small even-sized cubes. Dice the bell peppers and onions, and slice the sausage.
- Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Pour the potatoes, bell peppers, onion, and sausage over your prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with avocado oil, seasonings, and toss to evenly coat everything in oil and seasonings.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then turn veggies with a spoon and bake another 15 minutes.
- Cooking time may vary depending on the size of potatoes.
If your not a sweet potato fan you can sub it for a russet potato.