Crockpot Shepherd’s Pie is an easy recipe the whole family will love! Made with ground turkey, mixed veggies, and topped with delicious mashed potatoes. This classic meal in the crockpot makes it ideal for busy families.
The weather is starting to get California cold, there I said it 65 degrees F and I am freezing, haha! I am not a year-round crockpot user I usually only bust it out when it’s cold out! It sure does make meals less complicated though, especially during the week. My kid’s schedules have me running around as a full-time afternoon taxi driver. Crockpot Shepherds Pie is one of those meals that are perfect for a busy weeknight.
This recipe is such an easy way to enjoy comfort food. I use this 8-quart Crockpot, it’s honestly perfect for family meals!
What is Crockpot Shepherd’s Pie
Believe it or not, my husband’s first time eating shepherd’s pie was when I made it! He grew up in what he would call an Ecuadorian home, and never had it! I on the other had loved when my mom would make shepherd’s pie. Shepherds pie is essentially a meat pie topped with mashed potatoes. I like to add veggies to mine, and sometimes a little cheese on top. It’s a very forgiving recipe and quite hard to mess up.
Can I Substitute Other Meats in Crockpot Shepherd’s Pie
Yes, I am a big fan of ground turkey, however, you could use ground beef or lamb. If you are trying to lower your meat consumption or vegetarian you could totally use meat substitute crumbles.
Can I Add Cheese
Yes, sometimes I do sometimes I don’t. Whatever your taste prefers. If you will be adding cheese do so at the end it will only take a minute to melt.
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 cup white onion
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups frozen mixed veggies
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 and a 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, optional
- Brown the ground turkey with onion, garlic powder, and salt. Add to the crockpot.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, tomato paste, mixed veggies, herbs, and broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir till combined.
- Nestle the potatoes on top of the meat mixture. Cover the crockpot with the lid and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Remove mashed potatoes and mash them. discard the bay leaf. Prepare your potatoes how your family likes them, I use milk, butter, and salt.
- Spread the mashed potatoes on top of the meat mixture inside the crockpot. Sprinkle with cheddar if desired and cover with a lid till cheese is melted.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 478Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 128mgSodium: 403mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 35g