Cheesy Southwest Zucchini Boats are a delicious baked meal packed with super flavorful protein and veggies. These are perfect for weeknight dinners, quick meals, and even meal prepping.
Zucchini boats are a great option if you’re looking to add more veggies into your diet or lower your carbs. I like to make these and have them for lunch over my salad throughout the week.
How to make Cheesy Southwest Zucchini Boats
This is a super easy recipe. Most ingredients you probably have on hand. I recommend getting larger zucchinis they are easier to add the stuffing too.
For the meat I used ground turkey, you can use ground beef If that is your preferred meat.
Ingredients for This Recipe
- avocado oil
- yellow onion
- ground turkey
- garlic cloves
- black beans
- tomato sauce
- spices (onion salt, smoked paprika. chipotle powder, pepper, salt, chili powder, cumin, oregano)
How to make these Zucchini Boats
Preheat your oven and prepare your zucchinis by cutting lengthwise then scooping out the insides to make room for the filling. Place them in a baking dish and lightly season with salt. Roast them till tender while you prepare the filling.
Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Start by sauteing your onions, inside of the zucchini, then adding in your ground turkey and garlic, saute to cook through. Add in your spices, corn, tomato, tomato sauce, and black beans, let simmer for 3 mins then turn off the heat. Stir in cream cheese.
Spoon the filling into the roasted zucchini with a sprinkle of cheese on top. Return zucchini boats to oven and continue to cook till cheese is melted and zucchini is tender.
Finish with some fresh cilantro, and your favorite toppings ( like sour cream, avocado, hot sauce).
Love easy and delicious dishes, also try:
- Chicken Pesto Pasta
- Shredded BBQ Chicken & Coleslaw + Quick Pickles Cucumbers
- Spice Rubbed Flank Steak & Avocado Salsa
- Carne Asada Street Tacos
- 3 large zucchinis cut in half and cored
- salt & pepper, to sprinkle on zucchinis
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 tsp onion salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 vine ripe tomato, diced
- 4 ounce can mild green chilies
- 3/4 cup corn kernels
- 3/4 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise, and core out the center. Reserve the core for the stuffing. Place zucchinis in a baking dish, drizzle with some olive oil, and add some salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the stuffing. Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat add 1 tbsp of avocado oil. Add in onions and cook till tender. add the ground turkey, garlic, spices, and cored zucchini. cook till turkey is done about 10 minutes.
- add in the tomatoes, corn, black beans, green chilies, and mix. Turn off the heat and add in cream cheese stir till combined and melted.
- Remove the zucchinis from the oven and carefully stuff them with the filling mixture. Top them with shredded cheese and bake them for another 10-12 minutes, till cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the dish from the oven and garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with lime wedges, enjoy!