This Spinach Pesto Pasta Salad is a delicious combination of spinach and basil. It is the perfect summer pasta salad.
Hello summer, thank you for the fruitful garden beds in my backyard! Basil has been my superstar herb, so naturally pesto it is! I made of a blend of spinach and basil to add in some extra greens, and kids didn’t even notice, tastes just like pesto!
Spinach Pesto Pasta Salad is fresh and flavourful. I loaded mine up with garlic, as any garlic would do! Plus garlic is a great immune-boosting and flu-fighting food! I love making this pasta salad on Sunday and having it readily available in the fridge for a quick lunch and side at dinner throughout the week! Both my kids love it, and it makes me feel good knowing they are getting some greens in!
This recipe makes about a 1/3 cup more pesto then you will need. But its perfect cause you can use this delicious pesto in your salads, sandwiches, pizza, and as a dip, it’s so yummy!
Love easy side dishes also try:
- 16 ounces fusilli pasta
- 1 1/2 cups diced cherry tomatoes
- 8 ounces cilliegine (fresh mozzarella balls), cut in halves
- salt and pepper to taste
Spinach Basil Pesto
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 cloves of garlic ( I used 4 but for a more mild flavor start with 3)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- To a food processor and all ingredients. Process till smooth. Stop and scrape down the sides as needed.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed. More lemon for acidity, garlic for bite and spice, or cheese for cheesiness, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Keep in an airtight jar and store in the fridge.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook till al dente. Drain pasta and set aside, drizzle with a little olive oil to prevent pasta from sticking.
- Place pasta in a large bowl and top with 1 1/4 cup of spinach pesto. Toss pasta salad to enjoy immediately. Or store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Garnish pasta salad with more parmesan, if desired. Enjoy!