Magic Cookie Bars are a rich and gooey dessert that is also gluten-free. This is a simple recipe to throw together with only 6 ingredients.
Have you ever tried a magic cookie bar? The first time I tried one was this year, haha! Why did I wait so long, these are an unbelievably delicious treat! The combination of walnuts, chocolate, and coconut all in gooey coconut condensed milk is heavenly! I used almond flour for a base to keep them gluten-free.
Last week I was at sprouts market looking for flour but of course, had no luck, it seems like everyone has picked up baking during the quarantine. However, while I was browsing the baking aside for flour and I stumbled across condensed coconut milk, I had to grab it! It has the same exact texture and sweetness as regular condensed milk.
How to make Magic Cookie Bars
To make Magic Cookie Bars you will need to start with the bottom layer. There is no mixing involved you will pour everything into your 9-inch square baking pan. I recommend lining it with parchment paper for easy removal.
Magic cookie bars can have simple ingredient swaps, here are some below.
Chopped Walnuts: these add a nice crunch to the bars, you can add as little or as much as you like. They also can be swapped out for chopped pecans.
Chocolate chips: You can use semi-sweet or dark chocolate.
Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk: Once all ingredients are layered you will pour a can of sweetened condensed milk on top. If you can not find sweetened condensed coconut milk, regular sweetened condensed milk will work great too.
- 1/2 cup butter, melted (1 stick) vegan or regular
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup coconut shreds
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 12 oz can sweetened condensed coconut milk ( can sub for sweetened condensed milk)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a 9-inch square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Pour melted butter into your baking dish.
- Sprinkle in almond flour and lightly press down with the back of a cup into an even layer.
- Sprinkle coconut shreds evenly over the almond flour layer, followed by the walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour sweetened condensed coconut milk evenly over the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until edges are golden brown and middle is set.
- Allow to cool completely before serving, you can speed this process up by placing them in the fridge or freezer. Enjoy!
Store bars in the fridge or freezer.