This chicken salad is the absolute best. Made with delicious chunks of chicken, veggies, fruit, and nuts. This salad has so much flavor in every bite and is truly a favorite around here.
This easy chicken salad stores perfect in the fridge and goes great in sandwich rolls, croissants, and over a bed of greens for a low carb option. I’ve made it with grapes before but the apple offers enough sweetness and the dried cranberries balance out the sweet with a little bit of tart. In every bite, you get a little bit of everything, and it’s honestly so dang delicious!
If you are looking for the ultimate way to eat this chicken salad I highly recommend you serve it in a soft or lightly toasted croissant with a little lettuce, yum! If you are not of fan of dried cranberries you can swap them out for halved grapes. To make this salad lighter you can use half mayo and half greek yogurt, however, do not use all greek yogurt it won’t taste good.
- 2 cups cubed chicken breast, rotisserie works great
- 1/3 cup avocado mayo
- 1 cup diced apple, 1 apple I used gala
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- If using raw chicken breasts, preheat the oven to 400°F. Rub both sides of chicken breasts with avocado oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Place chicken on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F. Roughly cube or shred chicken. Alternatively use rotisserie chicken, I find this the easiest way.
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, mayo, diced apple, diced celery, cranberries, walnuts, onion, lemon juice, and mayo.
- Season chicken salad with salt and pepper. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the chicken salad for 1 hour, serve cold.
- If making chicken salad sandwiches, slice each croissant in half and layer with green lettuce, and a scoop of chicken salad to each sandwich. Or serve over a bed greens with your favorite salad toppings.