Chicken and mushroom skillet is so flavorful and tender. You can serve it during the week or its fancy enough for date night.
This is a dish that you would find on a restaurant menu. Made in one pan and truly delicious. This Chicken and Mushroom Skillet is not a quickie however its worth the time and its honestly so delicious! We served it with Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes and it was a match made in heaven!
How to make Chicken and Mushroom Skillet
The favors for the chicken and mushroom skillet build off one another. It starts with browning the chicken. I did this in a cast-iron skillet and it works perfectly every time. All the bits and pieces get kept in the pan. Next sautè mushrooms and onions then add in your garlic. Once the garlic is fragrant and mushrooms are browned and onions are caramelized then its time to add in the wine. Once you add in the white wine the bottom of the pan will deglaze with all those flavorful bits and pieces. Finish off the dish by adding fresh thyme, chicken broth, and cream, dairy or non-dairy will work.
Love delicious chicken dishes, also try:
- 3 chicken breasts, cut diagonally into cutlets
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 tbsp butter, divided
- 8 ounces baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 white onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 springs fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup of cream, dairy or non-dairy
- 2 tsp of cornstarch dissolved in 2 tsp water
- Pat chicken breast dry with paper towels. Cut breast diagonally and set aside.
- In a shallow bowl combine flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano. Dredge the chicken cutlets in flour mixture, coating both sides. Place dredged cutlets on a plate.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of oil and heat till butter melts. Add dredged chicken to the skillet and cook till golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Flip chicken and cook another 3-5 minutes. Place chicken on a clean plate and set aside. Repeat this till all chicken is browned.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of butter to the skillet, and heat till melted. Add in mushrooms and onion, sautè till mushrooms are nice and brown. Add in minced garlic and satuè till garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add in wine to the skillet and deglaze the bottom of the pan. Add in the chicken broth, thyme sprigs, and cream. Bring it to a simmer.
- Add in cornstarch mixture to the skillet and put the chicken back in. Heat and bring back to a simmer till sauce is thicked and chicken is warmed through, about 5-7 minutes. Remove thyme springs and season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve hot, enjoy!
I used a dairy-free creamer, nut pods, however, regular cream works great in this recipe too.