Spinach and Cheese jumbo stuffed shells are a hearty and comforting crowd-pleasing meal! Full of cheese, spinach, herbs, and marinara sauce. This is perfect for meatless Monday, it’s truly pure comfort food.
Who doesn’t love jumbo cheesy stuffed shells smothered in marinara sauce and more cheese… I am getting hungry just talking about it, ha! Meatless Monday is something I love doing in my household! My son who was raised vegan his first few years of life ironically hates meatless Monday, it all has backfired on me haha! But he will eat just gives me a major attitude haha, 8 years olds with strong opinions.
What is Stuffed Shells?
Extra cheesy foods, they are just the best! Jumbo stuffed shells can come with any filling you desire ( cheese, meat, taco, turkey, chicken). They remind me a lot of lasagne or manicotti, minus the ground beef. This Spinach and Cheese stuffed shells are very easy to make and picky eater approved!
How to make Spinach and Cheese Jumbo Stuffed Shells
- Boil pasta till al dente or use package directions.
- Make the filling: Mix together mascarpone, ricotta, mascarpone, half parmesan, half the mozzarella, grated garlic, onion powder, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Add in thawed and squeezed spinach and mix till combined.
- Assemble, geese your baking dish, and add half your marinara sauce to the bottom of a 9x 13 baking dish. Stuff shells with spinach cheese mixture and arrange shells in the baking dish. Top with sauce and the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.
- Sauce, I used jarred marinara, however, you can use homemade sauce, alfredo, or vodka sauce would taste amazing.
- Meat, I kept mine vegetarian but you could add in some sausage or chicken for added protein.
- Spinach, feel free to omit or add in tiny pieces of your favorite veggies, sometimes I throw in little bits of broccoli.
You can use fresh or frozen, I used frozen, just be sure to fully thaw and squeeze out all water before adding it to the cheesy mixture. If you do not do this you will be left with a water soggy dish!
Are Jumbo Stuffed Shells Freezer Friendly?
YES! I made an extra pan before I had my baby, they freeze beautifully! They are excellent meal train dishes, or wonderful to bring a new mom! They will last in the freezer for 3 months, to reheat simply thaw the night before or morning of and bake as directed in the recipe card.
More Easy Pasta Recipes to try:
- Easy Chicken Scampi Pasta
- Chicken Pesto Pasta
- Bruschetta Pasta with Burrata
- Spinach Pesto Pasta Salad
- Lemon Sausage & Kale Pasta + Video
- Easy Pasta Salad
- 1/2 a 12-ounce box of jumbo shells
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces mascarpone
- 2 cups mozzarella shredded
- 1 cup parmesan shredded
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 16 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and water squeezed out
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook shells according to package till al dente, drain and let cool.
- In a bowl mix the ricotta, mascarpone, half the mozzarella, half the parmesan, spices, salt and pepper, and spinach till combined.
- Add half your marinara sauce to the bottom of your baking dish.
- Fill shells with spinach cheese mixture and arrange them in your baking dish. Cover the shells with the remaining marinara, mozzarella, and parmesan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, enjoy!!