Are you looking for a satisfying and healthy meal that won’t take too long to prepare? Look no further than chicken tacos with creamy cilantro sauce. This delicious and easy-to-make dish is perfect for any weeknight dinner, lunch, party, or gathering.
Chicken tacos are hands down a family favorite around here! Well, minus my 8 yr old, who still rather eat a cheese quesadilla, she will come around one day! These tacos are smothered in the most delicious green cilantro sauce; you will never want it to end!
Creamy Cilantro Sauce
The star of this dish is the creamy cilantro sauce, which adds a zesty and bright flavor to the tacos. It’s easy to make by mixing sour cream, fresh cilantro leaves, lime juice, jalapeno, garlic, cumin, chili, and a pinch of salt. Feel free to adjust the amount of garlic, lime, or salt to your taste preferences. If you like a spicy kick, add more of the jalapeno, I have to keep things pretty mild for the kids. However, I’d make it extra spicy if it were my choice!
Chicken Tacos with Creamy Cilantro Sauce
You can use your favorite ingredients when it comes to toppings and fillings. Some options include diced tomatoes, sliced avocado, shredded lettuce or cabbage, red onion, crumbled cotija cheese, or salsa.
There is no wrong way to eat a taco. Fill it up with your favorites!
- chicken thighs, boneless & skinless
- mild taco seasoning
- chicken bullion
- garlic cloves
- fresh cilantro
- avocado oil
- sour cream
- jalapeño pepper
- cumin powder
- chili powder
- corn or flour tortillas
- shredded lettuce
How to make Chicken Tacos with Creamy Cilantro Sauce
To make the tacos, start by seasoning the chicken with marinade ingredients; see the recipe card for exact measurements. Chicken thighs can marinate for as little as 1 minute or up to 48 hours. Grill chicken or cook it on a cast iron skillet. Dice chicken into bite-size pieces.
Next, warm up your tortillas in a skillet, and spread a spoonful of the creamy cilantro sauce on each one. Then, add the chicken and the toppings of your choice, and fold the tortilla in half. Devour immediately!
Chicken tacos are versatile, customizable, and easy to make. Try them and add them to your meal rotation this week! I can’t wait for you to try it!
Always use fresh ingredients when possible for the best-tasting food.
Love easy delicious Mexican-inspired food, also try:
- Easy Grilled Chicken Street Tacos
- Fresco Chicken Tacos
- Carne Asada Street Tacos
- Carne Asada Nachos
- Authentic Carne Asada ( Easy & Delicious)
- Pico de Gallo
For the Chicken
- 3 lbs chicken thighs, boneless & skinless
- 1 packet mild taco seasoning, I used siete
- 1 tbsp chicken bullion. I use callado de pollo
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, diced
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
For the Creamy Cilantro sauce
- 1/2 head cilantro leaves, about 1 cup
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 jalapeño pepper, more if you like it spicy
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- salt to taste
For the Tacos
- 16-20 corn or flour tortillas
- 1 large avocado
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 tomato, diced
- Salsa for serving
To Cook the Chicken
- Add the chicken thighs, taco seasoning, chicken billion, minced garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and avocado oil in a large bowl. Let chicken marinate for 1 minute - 48 hours.
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skittle over medium-high heat. Add chicken, flipping once till charred, about 8 minutes per side. Do this in batches. Don't overcrowd the pan. Remove chicken, let cool, and dice.
- To grill: heat grill to medium-high. Place chicken on the grill, flipping once, cooking for about 8 minutes per side. Remove chicken, let cool, and dice.
Make the Creamy Cilantro Sauce
- Add cilantro, sour cream, lime juice, garlic, cumin, chili powder, jalapeno, and avocado oil to a food processor or blender. Pulse for 1 minute until creamy and smooth.
Assemble the Tacos
- Warm tortillas in the skillet.
- Layer tortillas with chicken lettuce, tomatoes, and creamy cilantro sauce.
- Serve immediately, enjoy!
Serving Size:2 tacos
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 619Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 37gCholesterol: 234mgSodium: 392mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 43g