Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup is your perfect weeknight meal to warm and fill all the bellies in your home. Made with the best homemade zesty lime tortilla strips that are the perfect complement to the delicious bowl of soup.
What’s better than a warm cozy bowl of soup! Soup season is my absolute favorite. Growing up soup was one of my mom’s favorite foods and she would always make the best pots of soup out of whatever she had on hand. I’ve tried to convert my husband into a soup lover, he has slowly been coming around it’s been a 10-year process, ha! For some reason he thinks soup is not a complete meal, men.. haha
So, I must tell you what inspired this recipe.. I’ll make this story quick. The kids and I got back late from their water polo practice and hubby was out of town so they wanted to door dash from Red Robin. They got burgers I ordered the chicken tortilla soup. It wasn’t the best I would give it a 6/10. But it started this craving for some good tortilla soup. So fast forward a day and we are here making our own delicious soup! So thanks okay tasting soup for the inspiration, haha.
What’s In Chicken Tortilla Soup
Most chicken tortilla soups are super simple. Lots of delicious broth and chicken topped with crunchy tortilla strips. I used a jalapñno pepper in this recipe but any pepper will work, use your favorite. A chipotle pepper would add a nice smokey flavor or an ancho chili pepper for some authentic Mexican flavor. Now, if you like zero level of spice use a bell pepper.
I used white beans they add and luxurious thickness and creaminess to the soup. My Hispanic Kids aren’t too keen on beans… don’t ask 😏. White beans seem to agree with everyone’s pallets in this household. Feel free to add pinto or black beans they would be delicious in this soup.
Veggies of any kind would also be excellent. I like to keep mine simple and top it with my favorites, zesty lime tortilla strips, cheese, cilantro, and sour cream.
How To Make Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
The zesty lime tortilla strips are good enough to eat out their own, the combo of lime zest and flakey sea salt is my favorite. When combined with this easy chicken tortilla soup it makes for the most delicious bowl of soup!
- Chop your veggies and sauté till fragrant and tender.
- Add in the chicken, spices, white beans, crushed tomatoes, and broth. Stir to combine and simmer for a bit.
- While the soup is simmering make your zesty lime tortilla strips. Dice corn tortillas into 1-inch strips, and heat avocado oil over medium-high to 375 degrees. Fry tortilla strips 30-45 seconds aside, or until golden brown.
- Remove strips and place them on a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle over the lime zest and flakey salt.
- Once the chicken is cooked pull it out and shred it with two forks add it back into the soup. Serve and add all the delicious toppings.
Love easy and delicious soups, also try:
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Roasted Red Pepper Tomato and Tortellini Soup
- Quick & Easy Wonton Soup
- Instant Pot Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Albondigas Soup (Mexican Meatball Soup)
Zesty Lime Tortilla Strips
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 2 limes, zest of
- Flakey sea salt
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1 jalapeño diced, remove seeds to keep soup less spicy or keep them if you like spice
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large chicken breast
- 2 chicken thighs
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14.5 ounce can white beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, juice of
- sour cream for serving
- cheese for serving
- Over medium-high heat sauté your onions and jalapeño till fragrant and tender for about 2 minutes. Add in your garlic and sautè for another minute.
- Add in the chicken, spices, white beans, crushed tomatoes, and broth. Stir to combine and simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- While the soup is simmering make your zesty lime tortilla strips. Dice corn tortillas into 1-inch strips, and heat avocado oil over medium-high to 375 degrees. Fry tortilla strips 30-45 seconds a side, or until golden brown. Remove strips and place them on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Sprinkle over the lime zest and flakey salt.
- Once the chicken is cooked pull it out and shred it with two forks add it back into the soup. Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Serve and add all the delicious toppings.
Instant Pot Instructions: Heat the oil and sauté the onion, garlic, and jalapeño for 5-7 minutes until tender and fragrant. Add in the chicken, crushed tomatoes, spices, white beans, and broth. Seal the lid and set the cooking time to 14 minutes with 7 minutes of natural pressure release. Remove the chicken from the pot and shred. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup along with cilantro, and lime juice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 398Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 458mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 20g