This Instant Pot Lentil and Sausage Soup is so hearty, warming, and delicious. Made with a blend of chicken sausage, veggies, lentils, tomato, and spices to make truly a perfect bowl of soup. Serve it with a freshly toasted baguette and enjoy this delicious soup.
There is nothing I love more than warm soup on cold nights! It took me forever to convert my husband into a soup guy.. still, he isn’t fully on my side but he’s come a long way! This is one of his favorite soups, which makes me so happy! I for one think soup is freakin amazing, I can eat it year-round! This Instant Pot Lentil and Sausage Soup check all the boxes for me, it’s truly such a delicious soup and I can not wait for you to try it!
So we currently are having our floors redone, there are originals from 1953, ha! The time has come, out with old in with the new!! It’s all great, however, it’s a nightmare at the same time, especially with a toddler. I have been without a kitchen for a week and it may just cause me an emotional breakdown, or maybe it’s my pregnancy hormones, haha! Regardless I don’t love to do take-out, I think it’s overrated and quality usually sucks. Well, there are a few places but none feasible enough to eat at for a week with my kids and hubby!
Needless to say, not having my stove has been a pain but I am so glad I have an Instant pot and Air Fryer! been doing all our dinners out of these wonderful machines! Hard to believe there was a time without them.
How To Make Instant Pot Lentil and Sausage Soup
Making this soup in the instant pot is my favorite way to do it!
Start by turning the pot to saute mode. Add oil and sausage once the pot is hot, it should only take a few minutes. Add in the sausage and brown till sausage is cooked.
Add in the carrots, onions, and celery. Keep cooking for another 5 minutes stirring often, just until onions start to soften.
Next, add in the lentils, crushed tomatoes, seasonings, and bay leaf. Pour in chicken broth and give the soup a good stir to combine ingredients.
Place lid on the instant pot and pressure cook for 15 minutes.
WHAT KIND OF VEGETABLES CAN YOU USE
Considering I am feeding this to my family I like to sneak in whatever I have available in the fridge. Any extra veggie I have on hand.
I used more traditional veggies for this soup onion, celery, carrots, garlic, and kale. However, you do not have to use the same! You can use zucchini, bell peppers, potato, or even swap out the kale and use spinach.
Use what your family likes, never be scared to get creative!
WHAT KIND OF SAUSAGE SHOULD I USE
Personally, we love chicken sausage, I used a combo of sweet and spicy sausage, and it’s truly so delicious and gives the Lentil and Sausage soup so much flavor depth.
My local market sells both ground sausages if you have trouble finding it you could always just use sausage in the casing, just remove the casing before cooking.
Both pork and beef sausages will also work great in this recipe.
This soup is so hearty and packed with all the good stuff! It’s dense enough to serve for dinner with some buttery toasted baguette of course! My kids and husband love this soup! And when I say my husband loves it that’s huge because well he’s still on the fence about whether soup is a meal or not, men… haha!
Love Instant Pot Recipes, Also Try:
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Ground Turkey Tacos
- Instant Pot Shredded Mexican Chicken
- Instant Pot Cauliflower Cheese Soup
- Instant Pot Apple Cider Pulled Chicken Sliders
- Instant Pot White Bean Chicken Chili + Video
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lb sweet italian chicken saussage
- 1 lb hot italian chicken saussage
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 3 carrotts, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry green lentils, washed
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups broth
- 1 stalk of kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
- Turn Instant pot to saute mode, once pot is hot add in avocado oil then sausages. Cook for 5 minutes breaking up sausage and browning it. Add in the onion, celery, and carrots saute for 5-7 minutes, just until the onions start to get tender.
- add in crushed tomatoes, lentils. oregano, salt, bay leaf, and pour over the broth.
- Place lid on the instant pot with the valve sealed. Select pressure cook and set the timer for 15 minutes.
- Natural release for 10 minutes, and move valve to venting, once steam is released remove the lid.
- Add in chopped kale and stir till kale is wilted for about 1 minute.
- Serve soup and garnish with parmesan, fresh parsley, and chili flakes.
- Optional but highly recommend, sere with a warm baguette.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 440Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 1114mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 6gSugar: 10gProtein: 21g