Hasselback Caprese Chicken is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that will impress everyone. This recipe is a flavorful take on the traditional chicken caprese with an added twist that makes it stand out – the chicken is sliced and roasted in the style of a Hasselback potato!
This is a high-protein dinner the whole family will love!
What is Hassleback?
Now, you may be questioning the name – Hassleback Chicken. What does this even mean? “Hasselback” refers to slicing the chicken breast into thin slits almost all the way through and then filling the slits with fresh herbs, veggies, and mozzarella cheese. The result of this hassleback caprese chicken is a tender piece of chicken with an impressive visual display that always impresses.
It sure is a fun way to eat chicken breast!!
In addition to its visual appeal, Hassleback Caprese Chicken is also a dish bursting with flavor, and the chicken comes out perfectly juicy every time. The chicken breast is seasoned with garlic powder, salt, and pepper, stuffed with fresh tomatoes and mozzarella, then smothered in pesto. Every bite is packed with so much flavor.
The topping of fresh sliced tomatoes and additional mozzarella cheese bakes into bubbly perfection on top of the chicken, adding that classic Caprese touch. Topped with fresh basil ribbons and optional chili flakes for some heat, make for the best-tasting baked chicken breast!
But that’s not all – the dish is also incredibly simple to prepare. With some easy prep work, it can quickly be ready for the oven, making it the perfect option for busy weeknight dinners or last-minute entertaining.
Can I Make It Ahead of Time?
This dish can be prepped up to 3 days before. However, it is best cooked upon serving, not before.
It does make great leftovers for lunch. I love to chop the chicken up and enjoy it with steamed broccoli for a healthy, light, high-protein meal.
Serving Hasselback Caprese Chicken
Serve it with your favorite side dishes, rice or pasta, garlic bread, and a delicious salad!
Hassleback Caprese Chicken is a flavorful and visually impressive dish that will surely please guests and families alike. It’s a simple preparation; delicious ingredients make it a must-try for anyone looking for a new, faster cooking take on chicken caprese.
Please try it; I guarantee it will soon become one of your go-to recipes! Let us know how much you love it!
Love easy weeknight chicken dishes, also try:
- Chicken Chile Verde Burritos
- Delicious Baked Chicken Legs (Drumsticks)
- Easy Hawaiian Chicken
- Chicken Taquitos and Chipotle Crema
- Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Bowls
- 5 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 5 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 cup prepared pesto
- cooking spray
- 4 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- red chili flakes, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a large-rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or cooking spray.
- To your chicken, make crosswise cuts every 1/2 inch along all 5 chicken breasts. Slice all almost to the bottom, just not through the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with garlic powder, salt, and pepper on both sides.
- Fill the slits alternatively with tomato and mozzarella slices. Liberally brush the chicken with pesto. Transfer the chicken to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until chicken is done, 165 degrees, and no longer pink in the center, about 30-40 minutes. Serve hot, enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 356Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 794mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 40g