This recipe for one-pot cajun chicken pasta makes dinner a breeze. Made with penne pasta, veggies, and chicken all coated in the most delicious creamy cajun sauce. This pasta is the perfect weeknight meal, so delicious!
Pasta ohh pasta, I feel like it’s taken over the social media space lately and I love to see it. We are not huge pasta eaters but we do eat a lot of rice and beans, Latins 🤣. It just makes pasta taste that much better when we do have it! Pasta is so easy to make, especially on busy nights where we get home late from the kid’s sports practices.
Any sort of pasta would be great in this recipe, I don’t advise using long pasta as it won’t cook evenly.
Easy One-Pot Cajun Chicken Pasta
There’s nothing better than an easy dinner that’s absolutely delicious. With three kids almost 4 now, it’s not feasible to always do takeout, this recipe will start being on rotation monthly especially because the leftovers are so easy to reheat and taste great!
The flavor is bold and creamy but not overpowering. You could certainly up the spice level by adding some cayenne or red chili flakes. For us, I have to keep it slightly mild for the kids.
This pasta is great on its own for a meal but you can certainly serve it with a big green salad and some toasted bread.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Avocado Oil: vegetable or olive oil work great too.
- Chicken Breast: chicken thighs wokr great, just trim the fat and use boneless.
- Cajun Seasoning
- Bellpepper: any color will do.
- Onion: can use shallot in place of onion.
- Garlic: fresh is best
- Chicken Broth
- Penne Pasta: I do not reccomend using diffrent pasta for this recipe.
- Cream Cheese: Gives sucha creamy velvety flavor to the pasta. However you can use a liquid dairy like half and half or heavy cream. Start with 1/4 cup and add from there adjusting salt to taste.
- Fresh Parsley: Fresh is always best, but when using small amounts dry parsley works great too.
How To Make One-Pot Cajun Chicken Pasta
This recipe is easy and comes together rather quickly. It does require stirring ever so often but other than that it’s a sinch!
- Start by prepping your veggies, chop your onion and bellpepper and mince your garlic. Dice your chicken into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add your butter and avocado oil.
- In one layer and in the chicken and seasoning. Cook chicken till lightly browned about 3 minutes.
- Add in onions and bell pepper, cook for 2 minuest till onions begin to soften.
- Stir in the garlic and cook 1 more minute, just till fragrent.
- Next pour in the fire roasted tomatoes, pasta, and chicken broth. Stir till everything is just combined. Place lid on top till broth beguns to boil. Then turn down heat to medium low and let pasta simmering stirring every 1-2 minutes for about 10 minutes, or until pasta is tender and 1/2 liquid is absorbed.
- Add the cream cheese to the pasta and combine till itr has melted into the sauce. Garnish with parsley anf fresh parmesan.
Love easy and delicious pasta recipes, also try:
- Easy Chicken Scampi Pasta
- Chicken Pesto Pasta
- Bruschetta Pasta with Burrata
- Tomato Spinach & Sausage Pasta
- Lemon Sausage & Kale Pasta + Video
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 1 bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 onion cut into thin strips
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 - 14.5 ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 6 tbsp cream cheese cut into cubes
- salt to taste
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and in butter and avocado oil. Once butter is melted add chicken pieces in a single layer. Sprinkle over cajun seasoning and salt to taste ( I used about 1/4 tsp). Stir and coat the chicken in spices for about 3 minutes. The chicken does not need to be cooked through.
- Add in bell pepper and onion, stir for another 2 minutes until onion is tender.
- Next, add in the fire-roasted tomatoes, pasta, and chicken broth. Stir till ingredients are evenly combined. Place a lid on the pot and bring the liquid to a boil. Then turn the heat down to medium-low and bring to a simmer for the next 10 minutes stirring every 2 minutes.
- Once pasta is tender and liquid is 1/2 absorbed add in cream cheese, stir till cheese is melted and combined. Top the pasta with fresh parsley, serve and enjoy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 397Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 118mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 41g